GREEN ONIONS // exert a heart-healthy effect
The presence of antioxidants in green onions helps in preventing damage of DNA and cellular tissue by inhibiting the action of free radicals.
Vitamin C helps in lowering high cholesterol and blood pressure levels in the body which in turn lowers your risk of heart disease.
The sulphur compounds present in these onions also help in reducing the risk of coronary heart diseases.
Who says being “vegan” can’t be delicious and messy? Vegan is in parenthesis because I decided to take my transition slow into going on the doctor suggested Anti-inflammatory diet. I still haven’t truly accepted removing delicious Artisan cheeses (that’s for you Mere) and eggs from my diet. Removing red meat and milk wasn’t an issue and honestly I feel much better after eating meals now. Even after being gluten free for over a year, I still did not feel awesome after meals; fatigued, drop in my blood sugar and blood pressure…just all over blah. Instead of feeling energized and ready to conquer the day, I would just want to crawl in bed or on the couch. Removing these items from my diet has been great and I am not looking back!
I love this recipe because it fulfills the need to truly chow down. Going GF, I eat fewer meals with my hands now. Think about it…I don’t eat burgers, sandwiches, hot dogs or wings, etc anymore. Luckily, this dish has all fresh ingredients that will benefit many systems in your body! I made this on parchment paper and just tossed it on the dining room table–No plates or silver wear needed. Here you go!
SWEET POTATO NACHOS
2-4 medium sized sweet potatoes (depending on group size)
1-2 corn on the cob sliced
1 green onion bunch
1 bunch of cilantro
1 cup black beans
2 tbs olive oil (I use grapeseed)
1 cup guacamole
pico de gallo
2 cups shredded cheddar (I use vegan cheddar)
1 tsp chili powder
course salt and ground pepper ( I use Celtic sea salt)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Cut each sweet potato lengthwise into wedges
- On a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, toss sweet potatoes with oil, chili powder, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper until coated
- Arrange wedges cut side down – roast potatoes`until browned and tender – 15-20 minutes
- Lay the wedges on a baking sheet and pile them high with cheese, beans and corn (I had the corn cook in the oven before starting this recipe. 325 for 20 minutes or so)
- Transfer the baking dish back into the oven and bake for a few minutes until the cheese is melted
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and top the sweet potatoes with scallions, cilantro, guacamole and pico de gallo
- Serve immediately and Enjoy!
58 DAYS IMMUNE SYSTEM HEALTHY