When life gives you limes…you make Pad Thai
I do make A LOT of my meals but there are many days where I am tired and lazy and I just want to eat take-out out on the couch.
One evening we were craving chicken Pad Thai but there lies one issue…Pad Thai contains soy sauce which contains gluten. After calling 5+ Thai spots in Houston, none said they made their Pad Thai with GF soy sauce or Tamari (gluten free equivalent). Insert the huge void that filled my heart. Damn you Celiac Gods…you finally got in the way.
That is, until I decided to make my own Pad Thai at home aka my GF safe zone. I wanted to create something simple but still extremely satisfying. The ingredients may seem like a lot at first but once you have the staples for the sauce in your fridge, you will be able to whip this up in no time, time and time again. This truly has become our households staple comfort meal–The leftovers are even awesome.
GLUTEN FREE CHICKEN PAD THAI
1 box of rice noodles/pad thai noodles
2 eggs, scrambled
1 shallot, minced
green onions, diced
1/3 cup peanuts, crushed
2 chicken breasts, cubed
1/8 cup rice vinegar
1/8 cup fish sauce
1/8 cup sriracha (gf)
1/8 tamari (gf soy sauce)
1/4 cup brown sugar
- In a medium sized skillet, on medium heat, add 2 tbs sesame oil, minced shallots and chicken. Cook through (10-15 minutes). Set aside in a bowl.
- In new skillet, heat 1 tbs sesame oil and scramble eggs, set aside in another bowl.
- Dice 1/3 of a group of green onions, set aside in bowl.
- Crush peanuts, set aside in bowl
- Boil large pot of water, bring to a boil. Once at a boil, turn off heat, add rice noodles and let sit for 8-10 minutes. Strain noodles, rinse with cold water and toss in 1 tbs sesame oil. Set aside.
- In a small bowl add rice vinegar, fish sauce, tamari/gf soy sauce, sriracha, brown sugar, juice of 1 lime. Mix and set aside.
- Place noodles, chicken, peanuts, green onions and pad thai sauce in large sauce pan. Place on low heat and cook 5-10 more minutes. Stir until mixed.
- Garnish with green onions, limes wedges and peanuts, serve when ready.
12 DAYS IMMUNE SYSTEM HEALTHY! (PERSONAL RECORD SINCE CHANGING MY EATING HABITS: 214 DAYS)