I eat pretty clean but when I go out to eat, I don’t typically crave salads. More times than not its always hella leafy greens and minimal fixins, and I’m left bored after a handful of bites. Don’t get me wrong, the nutritional benefits of leafy greens are amazing but since they contain a lot of fiber I fill up easy and am left hungry again soon after.
Whenever I make salads at the house, I would say its 30% leafy greens and 70% ‘fixins’. I love having diverse ingredients in my salads that check all the boxes; savory, sweet, lots of flavor and dense nutrients that will keep me fuller, longer. Below is a recipe for an easy salad that I never get sick of.
Arugula, Delicata Squash and Pomegranate Salad
4 cups arugula
½ delicata squash, sliced
1 avocado, sliced
1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
broccoli sprouts, as garnish
½ lemon, juiced
2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
dollups of Treeline brand nut cheese ‘herb + garlic’
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place the delicata squash on a sturdy cutting board. Cut the squash in half lengthwise, then then scrape out the seeds and pulp. Although you can peel the squash, it isn’t necessary because the peel becomes tender during roasting. You won’t need to whole squash for this recipe so feel free to cook it all or store half un cooked for another day.
3. Cut the halved squash into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Arrange the slices evenly in a oiled baking dish.
4. Bake the squash for 15 minutes.
5. Remove the baking dish from the oven and set aside
6. If you bought a whole pomegranate vs buying from a pre-seeded container, cut the pomegranate in fourths, fill a bowl with water, dunk each pomegranate slice under water and remove the arils that way. The pulp will float and the arils will sink making it easy for retrieval. Remove the white pieces floating and strain the arils (seeds). Set aside.
7. Put the pine nuts in a skillet and cook until lightly toasted. Tip: they are done when they become aromatic or slightly browned. Keep your eye on these because they burn quickly. Put aside.
8. In a large bowl, add the arugula, avocado, Treeline brand nut cheese, delicate squash, pine nuts, pomegranate seeds, broccoli sprouts and lightly toss with lemon juice and EVOO. Enjoy!